Friday, December 18, 2009

10 "Will" Powers

The Holiday season is always tough for me...there is a bazillion of parties will a bazillion tons of food...not to mention you have to look cute at these parties....and it's just so much pressure.

I have been working towards recovery from Bulimia for almost three years now. I was in High School when my struggle with an eating disorder started, the worst of it was after I had Elle...when through a dear friend I was forced to seek help...three years ago. Like I said Christmas time is always one of the hardest times of year, yes just about as hard as bathing suit season. My battle with Bulimia is an every day struggle, but I fight every day. I look at my cute little kidlets and they alone are worth fighting for.
So when times get tough I pull out some tools to help.
Not only do they help me...but I know that they will help others who have low self esteem, or low self body image...or even an eating disorder.

10 "Will Powers" for Improving Body Image

1. Twice a day, everyday, I WILL ask myself: "Am I benefiting from focusing on what I believe are the flaws in my body weight or shape?"

2.I WILL think of three reasons why it is ridiculous for me to believe that thinner people are happier or "better." I will repeat these reasons to myself whenever I feel the urge to compare my body shape to someone.

3. I WILL spend less and less time in front of the mirrors-especially when they are making me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious about my body.

4. I WILL exercise for the joy of feeling my body move and grow stronger. I will not exercise simply to lose weight, purge fat from my body, or to "make-up" for calories I have eaten.

5. I WILL participate in activities that I enjoy, even if they call attention to my weight and shape. I will constantly remind myself that I deserve to do things I enjoy, like dancing, swimming, etc., no matter what my shape or size is!

6. I WILL refuse to wear clothes that are uncomfortable or that I do not like but wear simply because they divert attention from my weight or shape. I will wear clothes that are comfortable and that make me feel comfortable in my body.

7. I WILL list 5-10 good qualities that I have, such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. I will repeat these to myself whenever I start to feel bad about my body.

8. I WILL practice taking people seriously for what they say, feel, and do. Not for how slender, or "well put together" they appear.

9. I WILL surround myself with people and things that make me feel good about myself and my abilities. When I am around people and things that support me and make me feel good, I will be less likely to base my self-esteem on the way my body looks.

10. I WILL treat my body with respect and kindness. I will feed it, keep it active, and listen to its needs. I will remember that my body is the vehicle that will carry me to my dreams!

I WILL CHOOSE TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF AND MY BODY!

{I hope someone out there can benefit from this as much as I try to}

1 comment:

The Barnum Family said...

I love this post! The "WILL" powers are a great reminder. I think we(especially me) can get so caught up in what is wrong with our bodies that we forget to focus on how amazing they are. I loved the part that said "my body is the vehicle that will get me to my dreams."