Monday, July 2, 2012

Friendship

I have been extremely blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life at various times who have been great, wonderful friends.

I have found that throughout my life many friendships have come and gone and come back again.  Some have come and stayed awhile and slowly faded.
Some have come quick and left just as quick.
Some friendships have come slowly and left slowly.
While a few friendships have come and stayed.

As I  have reflected back on the different friendships that have graced my life I have had various emotions.  Some I am sad that we are no longer in touch or as close as we were, others I am grateful that we are no longer in touch, while others I am happy that our friendship has meant so much that we are still friends.

While looking back I have realized that there has been a season for all friendships.  That even how brief they have been I have learned something from them. And hopefully they learned something from me.
In all my friendships I have learned lessons good or bad but all has left an imprint on my life.



Today I was thinking about some friendships that I have had in my life that have meant so much to me but now they only mean so much to me because of what we had and not what we now have.
Because if I am honest some of my friends because I was friends with them now, I would not be friends with them now.  We are far to different and our views are different and our lives are different and we are different.

One major thing I have learned is that I am extremely loyal, but being loyal is draining.  As I have learned that MOST people do not put much weight in friendships and I do.  And to be honest I don't have time or strength to nurture and invest in people and friendships that don't want to invest in me as a friend back.

To me friendship is important.  I enjoy having friends to call up and talk to.  I love having the ability to chat someones ear off.  I love being able to go to lunch, or a girls night out.  These moments are important to me.  It's important to me to have a life outside my family and my business.

As I have been analyzing my approach to friendships I have realized that 75% of the time I am the one that instigates the friendship.  I am the one that makes the effort to call.  I am the one that makes the effort to set up the get together.  And let's face it, I am tired of it.

All I want is friends who will want to put as much in it as I do.
I will continue to be the friend that I want to have, but I hope I have the kind of friends who will want to be that kind of friend back.  And if not, that's okay too and that is when the friendship fades.  {sad but true}

Okay that's all.


No comments: