Sunday, March 14, 2010

Beauty on a Budget

I was talking to my S.I.L the other day and she was asking me what department store cosmetic brands have  sister brands in drug stores.  So I decided that I will share some budget beauty tips with you.

So you all know HOW much I LOVE DiorShow Mascara right?  I most likely will never use anything else other then DiorShow because I love it that much, but I did find one mascara that is really comparable to DiorShow.  Ready for it?
  It is CoverGirls Lash Blast Mascara.  I must admit that it really does almost the same thing as DiorShow, with the exception of a slight bit of flaking.  But if you can handle a little flake, consider this mascara.  It lengthens and thickens almost as good as DiorShow.  Would you like to know the moolah you will save?  DiorShow is about $25.00 with tax.  Lash Blast ranges (depending on the store) from $6.00-10.00 and sometimes you can even find a coupon.  
Again Lash Blast is a fabulous alternative to DiorShow!

When I worked for Clinique I learned this....Lancome is the same as L'Oreal. For real!  Many of Lancomes Products comes out first as a L'Oreal product for "test marketing" at a fraction of a price.  The only difference is in the name of the product and some fragrances.   
I know it is really hard to pick a foundation or powder color from a drugstore wall because it may not match and you can't take it back like you can at a department store...so here is my tip:
Go to a department store (I suggest Nordstroms because they will do this for you.)  and to the Lancome counter.  Ask if you can be matched with a foundation color, and "type" of foundation.  Once you have been matched ask if you can have a sample made up, because you would like to try it before you buy it.  (reminder...you're not lying...you may end up buying the Lancome foundation) after they have made you a small sample you now have a color that you can compare to at the drug store. (remember you can't open the packages at the store, so take the sample with you and hold each product both the Lancome and L'Oreal next to each other.)  VIOLA!
The Eye Shadows from L'Oreal are nearly the same shades from Lancome as well.

Another brand that is owned by a department store company is Jane Cosmetics.  They are owned by the Estee Lauder Company which also owns Clinique.  

I also noticed at Walmart the other day that they NOW carry 
Hard Candy Cosmetics.  Hard Candy used to be only in Departments stores then was dropped and moved to Sephoras... and now is at Walmart.  I still believe that the quality of Hard Candy is the same as it was when it was in Nordstroms.  
Hard Candy is great for funky colors and nail polishes.  I would compare the colors of Hard Candy to MAC colors (maybe not as pigmented...but still a great selection and pretty bold.) 

One more BIG beauty tip is DON'T use the little wands they give you in your eyeshadows and blushes. Purchase good brushes...the brushes will even make your inexpensive cosmetics look like a million bucks...and you will be saving a million bucks!

Now go out...explore the drugstore...let me know what find!

Stay Beautiful
XOXO

P.S.  I just found out that Sephora is finally coming to Utah!  Fashion Place Mall June 4, 2010 and you can bet I'll be there!

3 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

Thanks for the tips! I've been on the hunt for a good mascara lately. Maybe I'll have to give the Lash Blast a try.

Unknown said...

Those are some amazing tips. I'm always in the market for new, cool kinds of makeup. I've also heard Lash Stilleto was pretty great.

And i LOVE Sephora. I wish I still lived in Utah. I miss the shopping.

Kristi said...

Great tips!!! Thanks. :)