Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The right to play.

As  I was going though some of my ed recovery stuff I came across this "certificate".  I  hadn't seen it in a long time.  I had forgotten about it.  But as I am struggling these past few days with self esteem, with wanting to engage in ed behaviors with, feeling not good enough for my husband, and not worthy for good friends.  I have sat around for two days crying...wanting to feel good enough, to be thin enough, to be more beautiful, more friendly, more talented, more everything.........I found a little strength in being reminded of this:

Certificate of the Right to Play


By this certificate, know ye that You are
A Lifetime member in good standing in
The Society of Childlike persons
and is hereby and forever entitled to

Walk in the rain, jump in mud puddles, collect rainbows, smell flowers, blow bubbles, stop along the way, build sandcastles, watch the moon and stars come out, say, hello to everyone, go barefoot, go on adventures, sing in the shower, have a merry heart, read childrens books, act silly, take bubble baths, get new sneakers, dance, fly kites, laugh and cry for the health of it, wander around, feel scared or sad or mad or happy, give up worry and guilt and shame, stay innocent, ask lots of questions, ride bicycles, draw and paint, see things differently, fall down and get back up again, talk with animals, look at the sky, stay up late, climb trees, take naps, do nothing, daydream, play with toys, play under the covers, have pillow fights, learn new stuff, get excited about everything, be a clown, enjoy having a body, listen to music, find out how things work, make up new rules, tell stories, save the world, make friends with the other kids on the block and do anything else that brings more happiness, celebration, relaxation, communication, health, love, joy, creativity, pleasure, abundance, grace, self-esteem, courage, balance, spontaneity, passion, beauty and peace to You and to other human beings on this planet.

Furthermore, You are hereby officially authorized to frequent amusement parks, beaches, meadows, mountaintops, swimming pools, forests, playgrounds, picnic areas, summer camps, birthday parties, circuses, cookie shops, ice-cream parlors, theaters, aquariums, zoos, museums, planetariums, toy stores, festivals and other places where children of all ages come to play, and are encouraged to always remember the motto of
The Society of Childlike Persons:


It's Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood.

I had a wonderful childhood, and lately I guess I need to be reminded that I can look at life like a child.  Things will be okay if I just remember that It's okay to play.

No comments: